Sunday, September 26, 2010

First Day of school

August 18th (I think) was the first day of school for Maya and Luke . Maya started 3rd grade and Luke started Kindergarten. Here Kindergarten is only half a day, which works out well for Luke since he never did any preschool. (In Texas, Luke missed the cut off by 1 day - the cutoff being the 1st of Sept and Luke's birthday is on the 2nd. If we had stayed in Texas, Luke would be only old enough to start preK and would have to wait another year for Kindergarten. Here in California the cut off is in December, so Luke is old enough to start Kindergarten. My own little soapbox - they need to make the age cut off the same date throughout the country. So many families these days move around for work and it's confusing to have everything be so different state to state. It caused me a lot of stress in Texas because we knew there was a chance we would stay and a chance we would move to California and I wanted Luke to be prepared for either scenario which would effect his education schedule by an entire year. Anywho - it's all worked out and everything is fine.)

Here are some pics of the kids on the morning of their first day at Cambridge Elementary School.









Here's Luke waiting outside his Kindergarten classroom. At the end of the day he came out and I asked him how his day was. He excitedly told me they got to play on the playground 2 times! These are the important things in life, right?? That's my boy. Recess was always my favorite, too. Followed by gym.

Ready for our first day in the classroom.


Just look at that excited smile. As ready as I was for Luke to start school, I have to admit I was surprised at how hard it was for me to walk away and leave him there that first day. It's hard for a mom to let go and let her kid do some growing up without her.
Luke has such a great time and I love picking him up at the end of his school day and seeing that big smile on his face. He's growing up so fast.
Maya is doing great once again. Throughout her years of elementary school she has never had anything but green days. (Green is good, yellow means there was some trouble, and red is a bad day) She's so easy when it comes to school.
A funny note: Maya's teacher and Luke's teacher are married to each other. Crazy coincidence, huh?

2 comments:

jbel said...

crazy ... it's these moments when our kids hit kindergarten that we realize how old WE are AND that we are parents ... doing the same things for our kids (back to school night etc.) that our parents did for us!

they looked really cute and excited on their first day!

Ericka said...

Hi Wilde family. I went to grade school with Jen, and I am so happy to find her online and see that she has such a beautiful family of her own now. Hugs!

- Ericka (from Ramsey)

The Kids